Hey fellow Retro-Gamers !
VMAN! is at it again for one last time. This time around he has released one of his best Raspberry Pi 4 images ever at a massive 512GB! So make sure you got the right SD Card for it. Will include a link to the recommended one below.
I mean, I have tried many Images for my Pi3B+ in the past always ended up on VMAN longer than others. Why? Because he cares about quality versus quantity. And now the Pi4B, he is the first to release a Stable and Future Proof image. It might be his first and last because it is so. Now he will keep it up to date with fixes via his cleverly engineered Post-Fix Update system. VMAN will also be adding new systems as time goes by easily added via update method. For more info visit his Tapatalk (link below).
This image includes upwards of 50 Systems, and well over 12K ROMs. It’s well balanced. It also includes a VMAN! exclusive updater where he will be releasing fixes. This image will be the last one you ever need. It’s sustainable for a long time. I would recommend the following setup :
The reason the Samsung Card was recommended is due its ability to store more Data than other 512GB ones do. It’s higher rated and has a dedicated chip for Table Of Contents or TOC for short. To understand more about SD Cards I embedded below some very informational videos by EC (Explaining Computers) thanks to VMAN!
Side note : Some people, me included think that using an SD card is limiting on the space front. Like if we wanted to add more games, as if over 12K wasn’t enough, SD card won’t be enough. Hence why in this case using a much larger USB HDD/SSD woulds be a much better idea. In this case, while the Pi 4 doesn’t yet support direct booting from USB (Coming soon), a guide by the infamous 2Play! in his videos tab below.
Although this image was tailored for SD Cards in mind here’s what was mentioned by the group :
**How to use this Pi4 release on USB…**
Current firmware supports the “old” way using an SD card.
A newer firmware will support direct USB boot as on Pi3B+
** PLAYBOX is Pre-Enabled USB mode, so what what this means you also have the option to flash to external HDD.
– @Virtualman recommends to use SD card if all possible, however WON’T SUPPORT anyone choosing HDD route.
– Please follow video guide, any issues or support related questions please consult direly with 2play!
– TARGETED ALL DECADES 70’s, 80’s, 90’s and 2000+ there is something for everyone.
– CD CONTENT FOCUS** 50 Quality Systems + 15+ Custom Collections with full of gems/games to discover!!
– ☆ = Unique content (hack/home-brew)
– Grand Total 12600+ games across 50 systems.
– This is a net new V1.0 build rebuilt from the ground up on a new Raspberry Pi4 hardware.
– Clean Raspbian Buster OS
– Clean Retropie 4.5.14 of time of release Future Retropie upgrades 100% supported.
– 4.5.18 has been release and tested/approved by VMAN!
– Clean Retroarch
– Clean Kernel/Firmware
– Clean Frontend (EmulationStation)
– New unique scripts and enhanced scripts
– New Custom Rpiemenu
– Kodi pre-installed and update friendly with Plex Client Add-on.
– Pre-installed top 30+ Hursty’s Themes & randomizer enabled
– Collections optimized (Racing, VMAN Old-School, Shoot’m ups, Beat-m ups, VMAN Fav’s…)
– 16 Virtualman Custom Video Splashscreen intros.
– 85 VMan’s killer background music “retrowave-ambient-mix” cherry picked by VMAN himself.
– QA lots of hours/days testing and troubleshooting and TLT (Tender Loving Tweaking).
– Bezel Project applied to Arcade, Naomi, Atomiswave, Vectrex
– Faster game load times (3 sec), tweaked runcommand
– Support for retroachievements.org (you will need to register account) for any given system.
– Customized and optimized to give you all the best Retro-Gaming experience ever!
How-To get image (Guide)
Now I will explain how to grab this image for yourself. For security reasons, grabbing this image won’t be a straightforward thing to do. So for this image you will need to join VMAN community in the link below.
On his community you will be able to get answers to most of your technical questions regarding all his work. The guy is super friendly, and very active. He answers questions pretty much immediately. There also he covers his images pretty much from top to bottom.
~ Some Info By VMAN! :
“First step get access to backups-me so you can actually download torrent from private tracker and follow #welcome-rules on his Forums
** Burn Baby Burn**
Then you you are ready to burn *.img to your SD card!